More About Overseas Medical Cost Insurance
- It is wise to consider the status of your health insurance if you are planning to stay abroad for an extended period.
- The period of validity of travel insurance, which includes health insurance, is generally two to three months. However, it is possible to apply for an extension of the period of validity, albeit within certain limits.
- If you plan to stay abroad beyond the validity period of general travel insurance, we recommend the Overseas Medical Cost Insurance.
- The Overseas Medical Cost Insurance covers out-of-pocket medical expenses, medical transport costs and the cost of repatriation of mortal remains. You choose the duration and the amount of the insurance.
- Please be advised that highly risky leisure activities such as skydiving, diving and motorsports require separate insurance.
The insurance covers
- The cost of a hospital stay abroad as well as the cost of medical attention, medicines that need to be taken on the advice of a doctor and the cost of hospital services. The admission and treatment must be prescribed by a doctor and payment is based on a general hospital in the country in question.
- The cost of urgently required, pain-relieving dental work. The maximum benefit for dental work is 1% of the limit of liability under the insurance.
- Additional expenses for a special stay at a hotel if a doctor considers that treatment can take place at a hotel. These expenses include e.g. the cost of nursing and a patient diet. The maximum daily compensation for these costs is 0.4% of the maximum limit of liability under the insurance.
- Additional expenses for a return trip home or a trip in order to achieve a pre-determined itinerary due to a delay caused by hospitalization on the advice of a doctor, together with the travel expenses of a medical escort if the doctor deems it necessary.
- Additional expenses of a close relative if such relative accompanies the insured on the trip or is requested to fly out with the consent of VIS's consulting doctor if the insured is injured, falls seriously ill or dies during the trip. The maximum compensation for these costs is 4% of the limit of liability under the insurance.
- The cost of medical transport. If a doctor considers that an immediate return home is necessary and can take place in the usual way, VIS requires only a written confirmation. In such cases, additional expenses incurred due to the return journey are covered, e.g. extra seats or a more expensive travel class. In the event of an illness or accident that is so serious that the doctor considers that the person in question must be transferred home in another way, the written confirmation of VIS's consulting doctor is required.
- The cost of repatriation of mortal remains. The insurance covers the cost of transporting the deceased back home to Iceland, as well as the additional expenses of a travel companion and the cost of any legally required measures.
The insurance does not cover
- Medical expenses due to illnesses that occur during the 9th month of pregnancy, at birth or abortion.
- Medical expenses due to chronic illnesses and accidents for which the insured has received medical attention in the preceding 12 months.
- Medical expenses due to continued medical treatment if the insured refuses to be transferred home despite the advice of a doctor and VIS's consulting doctor.
- Medical expenses due to medical treatment abroad for more than three months.
- Medical expenses due to a personal injury that occurs in a competition or during training in preparation for a competition in any kind of sport. In this context, the term sport refers to an individual or team sport which is practised regularly under the guidance of coaches at clubs or organizations that have sports competition as their purpose. However, this restriction does not apply to public participation in competition or training in golf, street cycling, triathlon, cross-country or street running.
Please note that the above list is not exhaustive. Further information can be found in the insurance terms.
In case of discrepancy between this list and the insurance terms, the insurance terms applies.
Do You Need More Coverage?
Critical Illness Insurance
No one expects to lose their health due to a serious illness, but the fact is that it can happen to all of us. Critical Illness Insurance provides financial protection and ensures that you will receive compensation if you are diagnosed with any of the diseases covered by the insurance.
If you have Life and Health Insurance
you may also be interested in the following insurances.
Family and Home Contents Insurance
What we all have in common is that we can encounter unexpected events in life that cause damage to possessions or accidents to people. Therefore, it is important that you have appropriate coverage for your family and your belongings.
Buying a property is usually the biggest investment we make in our life. It is therefore important that we make sure that the property is properly insured to minimize the financial consequences of property damage.
Animals need insurance just like any other family member. We have extensive experience in insuring animals and offer several types of animal insurance for horses, dogs and cats that you can combine according to your needs.