Medical Cost Insurance - Domestic
Further Information about Domestic Medical Cost Insurance
The Domestic Medical Expenses Policy is a short-term policy which is mainly suited for the following two groups.
- Those who are moving permanently to Iceland and are in need of coverage until they are entitled to coverage under the Icelandic Health Insurance scheme. Individuals do not qualify for such public health insurance until they have been legally resident in Iceland for a period of six months.
- Foreigners who are moving to Iceland on a temporary basis for work or study and have applied for a residence permit or a work visa from the Directorate of Immigration. The policy is compulsory insurance in these cases which is valid for up to 12 months.
This is a short-term policy and the premium is due on inception. The base premium for the policy, ISK 5,500, will not be refunded even if the policy is cancelled, e.g. if the insured never arrives in Iceland.
You have to fill out this application form when you apply for this insurance.
The Policy Covers
- The cost of hospitalisation on the advice of a medical practitioner and the cost of general and specialised services provided in hospitals, even in the absence of need for hospitalisation.
- The cost of general medical attention provided outside hospitals.
- The cost of necessary tests and treatment carried out by experts or in institutions.
- The cost of vital medicines that the insured is required to take on a continuous basis as well as other necessary medicine costs.
- Unavoidable travel costs so that a medical practitioner can reach the insured and the cost of transporting the insured to a hospital.
- The cost of caring for the insured in a home setting due to a serious and chronic illness or accident which is covered under the policy, provided that such home care is provided in place of hospitalisation.
The Policy does Not Cover
- Costs in respect of vaccination.
- The cost of staying in a maternity hospital.
- Costs that are paid under the Icelandic Health Insurance Act or regulations established on its basis.
- Costs in respect of an accident that occurred prior to the policy taking effect, unless the Company was aware of it.
- Costs in respect of an illness that first showed clinical signs prior to the policy taking effect, unless the Company was aware of it.
- Costs in respect of dental or cosmetic procedures, except in the case of necessary urgent procedures required due to a covered accident or illness.
- Costs in respect of pregnancy, birth care or illnesses resulting from pregnancy or miscarriage.
- Costs in respect of an illness attributable to the consumption of alcohol, narcotics or other recreational substances.
- Costs in respect of an accident caused by acts of terrorism, costs in respect of any kind of biological or chemical effects and/or poisoning, including pathogens and viruses, or costs resulting from the consequences of an accident being exacerbated by any of the aforementioned.
- Costs in respect of accidents in high-risk sports.
Please note that the above list is not exhaustive. Further information may be found in the policy wording. In the event of any inconsistency between the above list and the policy wording, the policy wording shall prevail.