More About Horse Health Insurance
- Period of purchase: You can purchase this insurance until the horse is 15 years old.
- Insurance amount: The insurance amount of Horse Health Insurance is a fixed amount which is stated on the quote, the insurance policy and the renewal receipt. The insurance amount will remain unchanged until the horse reaches the age of 19 years, after which it will decrease by 20% annually.
- Duration: Once the horse reaches the age of 23, the insurance is cancelled and will not be renewed.
- Own risk: You must pay a deductible in respect of each loss for which you are compensated under the Horse Health Insurance. Your deductible is a fixed amount plus 10% of the medical cost. You do not need to pay the fixed amount again in respect of medical costs, regardless of the number of visits to the veterinarian, until 100 days have passed since the first visit. Details of your deductible can be found on the quote, the insurance policy and the renewal receipt.
You can get a quote online. If the horse is 5 years old or older it is necessary to include a certificate from a veterinarian about the general health of the horse. The certificate must be less than 30 days old and the veterinarian must prepare the certificate on a form provided by VIS. You can attach the certificate to the quote request or send it to email@example.com.
The insurance covers
- Costs of a veterinarian for examining and treating the horse due to illness or accident.
- The cost of orthopedic procedures due to birth defects of foals up to 1 and 1/2 years of age stemming from certain diseases.
- Costs incurred in respect of foals, from birth up to 30 days, if the mare is life insured.
- Cost of treatment of periodontitis and treatment of broken teeth due to accident.
The insurance does not cover
- Costs due to physiotherapy and rehabilitation.
- Costs due to fodder, supplements and health- and hygiene products.
- Costs due to pre-existing diseases or accidents that occurred before the insurance took effect.
- Costs due to diseases that a horse gets within 20 days of the insurance taking effect.
- The cost of MRI and CT scans.
- The cost of preventive procedures and regular examinations.
- The cost of castration or cryptorchidism surgery.
- The cost of treatment to impregnate a mare.
- Costs due to inspection or treatment of teeth and cost of operation in order to remove ‚wolf teeth‘
- Costs due to temperament problems.
- Costs due to a surcharge on medical expenses if the assistance of a veterinarian is requested outside daytime working hours unless there is an urgent need.
- Costs due to prescriptions, invoicing, medical certificates or medical reports.
Please note that the above list is not exhaustive. Further information can be found in the insurance terms.
In case of discrepancy between this list and the insurance terms, the insurance terms applies.
Do You Need More Coverage?
Limited Horse Life Insurance
Limited Horse Life Insurance is a good insurance policy for anyone who owns a horse for recreation purposes. If you have this insurance, you will receive compensation if the horse dies as a result of an accident or illness, if immediate euthanasia is recommended by a veterinarian or if the horse is lost and is not found within 4 months despite a search.
If you have Animal Insurance
you may also be interested in the following insurances.
Family and Home Contents Insurance
What we all have in common is that we can encounter unexpected events in life that cause damage to possessions or accidents to people. Therefore, it is important that you have appropriate coverage for your family and your belongings.
Buying a property is usually the biggest investment we make in our life. It is therefore important that we make sure that the property is properly insured to minimize the financial consequences of property damage.
Life and Health Insurance
No one expects to lose their health or get into a serious accident, but the fact is that it can happen to all of us. With life and health insurance, you reduce the financial consequences of damage to your health
Are you planning a trip? Whether you are travelling for pleasure, study, work or other reasons, we recommend that you check whether you have travel insurance that suits you.